Baingan bharta is a dish made of fire roasted eggplant and cooked with onions, tomatoes and other spices. It goes well with rice and all types of breads. In southern part of India smoked eggplants are used to make chutney and in northern part bharta is made out of it. We live in the middle east and here baba ghanoush is very popular and can be compared to our bharta.
Eggplant (200 gms)
salt (to taste)
Oil (4 tsp)
Ginger (grated, 1 tsp)
Carrots (grated, 2 tbs)
Onions (chopped, 1/2 cup)
Tomatoes (chopped, 1/2 cup)
Coriander Leaves (2 tbs)
Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
Turmeric Powder (1/4 tsp)
Cumin Seeds Powder (1 tsp)
Garam Masala Powder (1/2 tsp)
Red Chili Powder (medium hot, 1 1/2 tsp)
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cuisine: North Indian
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
- Smear eggplant with oil before roasting.
- Pierce the eggplant with a skewer and place it on the flame.
- Turn the eggplant till the skin is completely charred and the pulp should be soft.
- Remove the skin when it’s warm and cut off both the ends.
- Mash the eggplant using a fork or a spoon until smooth.
- Heat a deep skillet to medium and add oil.
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, grated ginger and salt.
- Sautee till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add turmeric, red chili, coriander, and cumin powder.
- Mix and stir well.
- Add the mashed eggplant and garam masala powder.
- Add required water to adjust the cosistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated carrots.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- While selecting eggplants select the lightweight ones.
- Immerse the roasted eggplant in water as soon as it’s removed from fire and Peel off the skin or the skin can be peeled off as mentioned in the video.
- Eggplant roasted on fire is more tastier than eggplant roasted in oven.
- Garlic paste can be added if preferred.