Pattani sundal is a south Indian snack made with dried white peas, spices and coconut. It’s a very popular snack during Navaratri and also on sandy beaches in south India.
- Pattani [White Peas] (1/2 cup)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Coconut (pieces, small, 2 tbs)
- Mango (raw, pieces, small, 2 tbs)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (powder, a pinch)
- Green Chilies (chopped, fine, 2)
- Curry Leaves (chopped, fine, few)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (2 tsp)
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Snack \ Tiffin
- Wash and Soak white dried peas in a thermal insulated pot with 1 cup of hot water.
- Rest for 5-6 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked peas for 4-5 whistles. If required add 1/2 a cup of water before you cook.
- Strain the water and set aside.
- In a shallow skillet add oil and mustard seeds and wait for the seeds to splutter.
- Add the chopped green chilies and add asafoetida powder.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add small pieces of coconut and raw mango.
- Add curry leaves and mix well.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- While cooking peas pressure cook for 4-5 whistles only. The chances of getting overcooked or under cooked are possible. If it’s under cooked pressure cook for 1-2 whistles more.