Okra is a very popular vegetable in India. All the children in our family love okra stir fry, stuffed okra and okra sambar. Stuffed okra goes well with chapati, bread, naan, paratha and rice.
- Baby Okra (250 gm)
- Cumin powder (1/8 cup)
- Coriander Powder (1/8 cup)
- Onions (chopped, 1/2 cup)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chili Powder (kashmiri, 2 1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (8 tsp)
Cook time: 40 minutes
Cuisine: North \ South Indian
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
Recipe for Stuffing:
- In a bowl add coriander, cumin, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix all the powders and add 2 teaspoons of oil.
- After adding oil mix again.
Stuffed Okra recipe:
- Cut off the crown of okras.
- Make a vertical slit and fill the okras with the spice mixture.
- Refrigerate for 10 hours.
- In a deep skillet add oil, chopped onions and turmeric powder.
- Add salt only for the onions.[Remember already added salt for the okras]
- Place the okras gently and flip every 4-5 minutes until they are cooked.
- It should be cooked uncovered and on a low heat.
- Avoid flipping the okras too often to keep the stuffing intact.
- Add leftover spice mixture if needed.
- Cook until okras absorb all the flavors of spices, and crispy.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Short and stout okras are preferred for this recipe.
- Wash the okras and dry using a kitchen towel.
- While placing the okras lay in a single layer in the skillet.
- Garam masala can be added to the spice mixture.
- Be careful while making a slit. Do not cut the way through. If the okras are long make a long slit and cut it into half.
- I used heavy bottom cast iron skillet but non-stick pan can be substituted for the iron one.