This sweet originates from Chettinad region in Tamilnadu. Black rice is a good source of iron and other nutrients. I used jaggery instead of sugar. This rice turns purple after it’s cooked.
- Kavuni [Black] Rice (1/2 cup)
- Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Coconut (grated, 1/2 cup)
- Cashews (halved, 10)
- Jaggery (3/4 cup)
- Ghee (4 tsp)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Soak time: 12 hours
Category: Lunch \ Dinner \ Snack
Cuisine: South Indian
- In a bowl wash and add water to kavuni rice and soak for 12 hours.
- Transfer the soaked rice to a pressure cooker and add water if required.
- Pressure cook for 15 whistles.
- Add ghee to a deep skillet and add cashews.
- Sautee for 5-6 minutes or until golden and set aside.
- In the same skillet add grated coconut and dry roast for few minutes and set aside.
- Add jaggery and water and cook till jaggery dissolves.
- Add the cooked black rice and mash well.
- Add the roasted cashews, coconut, and cardamom powder.
- Add the remaining ghee too.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Wild rice and black rice are not exactly the same. We can substitute with wild rice if it’s not available.
- Add more water before pressure cook the rice if required.
- Cook the rice on low flame and ensure that there is enough water to pressure cook for 15 whistles.
- Mash the rice before add to jaggery water.
- Dissolve the jaggery and no need to make thick syrup.
- The rice should be properly cooked before adding to the jaggery water.