Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern food made with chickpeas, spices and herbs. My children fondly relish falafels with pita bread. The taste of falafel differs from country to country but the basic ingredients are chick peas, parsley and cumin powder that are same everywhere. Falafel can be baked or fried but authentic falafel is fried.
- Chick Peas (1/2 cup)
- Cilantro (1/2 cup)
- Parsley (1/2 cup)
- Onion (chopped, 1/2 cup)
- Cumin powder (1/2 tsp)
- Pepper Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chili Powder (kashmiri, 1 1/2 tsp)
- Sesame Seeds (2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (to fry)
- Baking Soda (1/2 tsp)
- Bread Crumbs (2 tsp)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Category: Breakfast \ Lunch \ Dinner
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Wash and soak chickpeas for 8-10 hours.
- Strain the water and set aside.
- In a food processor add parsley, cilantro and onion and grind to a coarse consistency.
- Add soaked chiskpeas, red chili, pepper, cumin powder, salt and baking soda and use the pulse setting to grind to a coarse consistency.
- When it is done add bread crumbs and sesame seeds and run on pulse setting for 5-7 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix well.
- Cover the mixture with a cling film or a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Form the mixture either into balls or use any small bowl and fill in 2 teaspoons of mixture.
- Flip upside down on a plate. Place the uncooked falafels on a plate before deep frying.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently lower the discs or balls.
- Allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip to cook on the other side.
- Fry till they turn crisp or brown.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Use a strainer to filter the chickpeas from water. Before grinding there should not be any water.
- For grinding either food processor or a mixer can be used. The batter should be coarse.
- The mixture should hold together nicely and not fall apart.
- Sesame is optional.
- Ice cream scoop can be used to make balls.
- Falafel mold is available in the market and that can be used too.