Paruppu urundai rasam is not a very common dish like paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu or urundai kuzhambu. Paruppu urundai rasam is my husband’s favorite dish. In our family we make during the weekends and this is one of our special recipes.
- Toor Dal [Pigeon Peas] (split, 1/2 cup)
- Red Chilies (4)
- Sambar Powder (1 tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Tomato (chopped, 3/4 cup)
- Tamarind (a gooseberry size)
- Jeera [Cumin Seeds] (1/2 tsp)
- Green Chili (1/2)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Ginger (a small piece)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Cilantro (chopped, fine, 4 tsp)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (cake, a small piece)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
Cuisine: South Indian
RECIPE FOR PARUPPU URUNDAI [LENTIL DUMPLINGS]
- Wash and soak toor dal [pigeon peas] for 45 minutes. Add red chilies and hing [asafoetida] along with toor dal.
- Strain the water, add salt and grind to a coarse consistency.
- Save the water.
- Form the mixture into balls of a small lemon size.
- Grease a plate with oil and steam on a low flame for 10 minutes.
PARUPPU URUNDAI RASAM RECIPE:
- Soak tamarind in water for 30 minutes and extract the juice.
- In a pan add one cup of tamarind juice and one cup of plain water and bring it to boil.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sambar powder, turmeric powder, green chili, salt and cilantro.
- Cook until the raw smell of sambar powder is substituted with good aroma.
- Add the saved water.
- Add the steamed paruppu urundai [dumplings] one at a time and cook till the urundais start floating.
- Heat a shallow skillet and add ghee and mustard seeds.
- Wait for the seeds to splutter and then add jeera.
- Switch off the flame and add the hot mixture to rasam.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Tamarind pulp can be diluted and added.
- Hing powder can be substituted for hing cake.
- Dumplings can be dusted with rice flour and added to rasam instead of steaming but this method requires lot of practice and skill. When dumplings are steamed they won’t break.
- While steaming open and check if it is soft as also cooked.
- Dumplings can be added in two batches. Wait for the first batch of the dumplings to float. After they started floating check there is enough water and then add the second batch.
- Beginners strain the lentils using a strainer instead of directly adding it to the grinder bowl. If the lentils are grinded with water it becomes soft and chances of breaking is more.
- As soon as you add jeera stop the flame. jeera gets burnt fast and spoils the smell of rasam.
- For sambar powder recipe please check my channel and I have given the link in the description of the video.