It’s a spicy, tangy condiment can be made in a jiffy. It can be served with indian breads, bakery breads, rice, as well as used as a dip for pasta and other dry snacks.
- Tomato (chopped, fine, 2 cups)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (small, cake)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Curry Leaves (few)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (de-husked, split, 2 tsp)
- Methi [Fenugreek] (seeds,1/4 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (4 tsp)
- Red Chilies (3)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Breakfast\ Lunch\ Dinner\ Tiffin
- In a shallow skillet add oil and methi [fenugreek seeds] and sautee till they turn deep red in color.
- Set aside the seeds and add urad dal [split black gram] and sautee till golden.
- Set aside and add red chilies and sautee for a minute.
- Set aside the red chilies and add hing [asafoetida].
- Wait for it to double its size and set aside.
- In the same skillet add tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till the water evaporates.
- In a grinder bowl add the sauteed dry ingredients and grind to a coarse consistency.
- Transfer the ground mixture to a bowl and add the cooked tomatoes and grind.
- Mix the ground tomatoes to the spice mixture.
- Add some oil to the skillet and add mustard seeds.
- Wait for the seeds to splutter and add curry leaves.
- Pour the hot oil mixture on top of chutney.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
Clear vegetable soup recipes are made by simmering or boiling vegetables. These soups are the best when we want to take light diet. This soup is very easy, simple and quick to make.
Ingredients for Vegetable Stock:
Ingredients for Clear Soup:
- Ginger (2 tsp)
- Lemon (juice, 1/2)
- Butter (2 tablespoon)
- Green Chili (chopped, 1)
- Onion (minced, 1/4 cup)
- Carrot (minced, 1/4 cup)
- Cauliflower Rice (1/4 cup)
- Pepper Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Beans (finely chopped, 1/4 cup)
- Cabbage (finely chopped, 1/4 cup)
- Cilantro (chopped, 1/4 cup)
- Red Pepper Powder (Crushed, 1 tsp)
- Cilantro (stem, finely chopped, 1/4 cup)
- Spring Onion (finely chopped, 1/2 cup)
- Tomato (de-seeded, finely chopped, 1/4 cup)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Method for Vegetable Stock:
- Boil 4-5 cups of water in a deep skillet and add all the vegetable scraps.
- Boil for 10 minutes or more on a high flame.
- Cover with a lid and boil
- Pour the vegetables and water through a strainer or colander
Method for Clear Soup:
- In a deep skillet melt two tablespoons of butter.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, cauliflower, beans, tomato, cabbage, cilantro stem, grated ginger and green chili.
- Add required salt and sautee for few minutes.
- Add 2-3 cups of vegetable stock, crushed red pepper and black pepepr powder.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes before removing the lid.
- Switch off the flame an then add chopped spring onion, cilantro and lemon juice.
Step by Step Pictures of the recipe:
- Vegetable stock can be made and stored in the refrigerator.
- Chopped garlic is optional so it can be added along with the chopped vegetables.