Onion pakodas are easy to make when guests come without prior intimation. In India the taste differs in norh and south region. The ingredients used are the same only the proportion of water varies. In south india specially in Tamilnadu the pakodas are hard in north india they make little soft and serve with tea.
- Besan [ Gram Flour] (1 cup)
- Rice Flour (2 tbs)
- Small Onions (chopped, fine, 3/4 cup)
- Green Chilies (chopped, fine, 2)
- Curry Leaves ( chopped, 2 tbs)
- Coriander Leaves (chopped, 2 tbs)
- Ginger (1 1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Ghee (2 tbs)
- Oil (to fry)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Category: Tiffin \ Snack time
- In a wide bowl add cut onions, coriander leaves, curry leaves, chopped ginger, and green chilies.
- Mix well by squeezing the ingredients.
- Add besan, rice flour and salt.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan and pour on the mixture when it is hot.
- Crumble the mixture using your fingers.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water if required.
- Heat oil in a pan. Drop small portions of the mixture into the oil.
- Deep fry till they are crisp, flipping after every couple of minutes.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Onions and green chilies should be chopped fine.
- Pour the butter-oil mixture when it’s hot.
- Rub and mix the ingredients by not adding water initially.
- Add water using a spoon. This step is a very important one.