Mango rice is a very simple recipe and the best lunch box recipe even. Fresh mangoes are available during summers and can be prepared during that season. It can be served with coconut chutney.
- Mango (raw, 1 1/4 cups)
- Curry Leaves (5)
- Peanuts (2 tsp)
- Hing (powder, 1/4 tsp)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Methi [Fenugreek] (powder, 1/4 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Cooked Rice (2 cups)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (split, 1 tsp)
- Chana Dal [Chick Peas] (split, 1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chili Powder (kashmiri, 1 1/2 tsp)
- Oil (4 tsp)
- Ginger (grated, 1/4 tsp)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
- Heat oil and ghee in a skillet and add mustard seeds.
- Wait for the seeds to splutter.
- Add urad dal [black gram, split], chana dal [chick peas], peanuts, chopped green chili, grated ginger and curry leaves.
- Add methi [Fenugreek], hing, and turmeric powder.
- Sautee for 2-3 minutes or till golden.
- Add the grated mango, salt and red chili powder.
- Cook till they are soft.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve with coconut chutney.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Fine grater can be avoided while grating the mango.