Dahi vadas are deep fried black gram lentil fritters soaked in creamy yogurt. Vadas in general can be eaten with sambar and chutneys too.
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (whole, 1 cup)
- Green Chilies (2)
- Red Chilies (2)
- Salt (to taste)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (powder, 1/2 tsp)
- Ginger (small piece)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Red Chili Powder (1 tsp)
- Cilantro (chopped, 1 tsp)
- Boondi (3 tsp)
- Oil (to fry)
- Curd (2 cup)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Soak time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
Category: Tiffin \ Dinner \ Breakfast \ Lunch
- Wash and soak urad dal for an hour.
- Strain the water and add red and green chilies, salt, ginger and hing powder.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- Whisk the batter for 5-10 minutes to make it light and fluffy.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Dip your fingers in water and take a lemon sized ball of the batter.
- Flatten the batter and make a hole in the centre.
- Gently lower the vadas into the hot oil.
- Flip vadas after a couple of minutes
Step by Step Pictures of the recipe:
- Strain the water completely before grinding the urad dal.
- While grinding sprinkle little water (use a teaspoon) and ensure the batter should be fluffy.
- Wet your finger tips and the plastic sheet while making the shape.