Avial is a simple mixed vegetable cooked in a coconut gravy with curd and seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. My grandma used to add some chopped tomatoes and beetroot to get the pink color which was loved by all in our family. But, here I have given the authentic recipe without beetroot.
- Pumpkin (white, long cut, 2 cups)
- Coconut (grated, 1 1/2 cups)
- Carrot (long cut, 1 cup)
- Beans (long cut, 1 cup)
- Coconut Oil (1 tbs)
- Green Chilies (3)
- Drumstick (1/2 cup)
- Curd (1/2 cup)
- Banana (raw, long cut, 1/2 cup)
- Brinjal (long cut, 1/2 cup)
- Potato (long cut, 1 cup)
- Jeera [Cumin] (seeds, 1 1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Curry Leaves (few)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hr and 10 minutes
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
Cuisine: South Indian
- Add water to a skillet and add Pumpkin, potato, carrot, yam, brinjal, banana, beans, drumstick, and salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low flame.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked.
- Grind grated coconut, green chilies and jeera to a coarse consistency.
- If water is required add few teaspoons of water to adjust the consistency.
- Make some space in the center of the pan and add coconut oil and in the same oil add curry leaves.
- Switch off the flame and after 10 minutes add curd.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- While cooking vegetables neither it should be over cooked nor under cooked.
- Whisk the curd before adding to the cooked vegetables.
- Fresh curd is preferred always.