Paruppu podi is a spicy condiment made with lentils, and spices usually served with rice. It’s an easy-to-make recipe, and the shelf life is 6 months to one year.
- Toor Dal [Pigeon Peas] (split, 1/2 cup)
- Chana Dal [Chick Peas] (split, 1/8 cup)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (whole, 1/8 cup)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (cake, small, 2-3)
- Pepper (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Red chilies (5)
- Oil (1/4 tsp)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
Yield: 150 grams
- Heat a shallow skillet to low and add 1/4 teaspoon of oil.
- Add two to three small cakes of hing [asafoetida] and sautee till it doubles in size and crisps up.
- Keep aside, and in the same skillet add toor dal [pigeon peas], red chilies, pepper.
- Sautee for 10 minutes or till the dal [peas] changes its color.
- Set aside and in the same skillet add urad dal [black gram] and sautee for 7-8 minutes or till the dal turns golden.
- Set aside and add chana dal [chick peas].
- Sautee chana dal [chick peas] for 7-8 minutes or till dal changes its color.
- Allow all the sauteed ingredients to cool before grind them to a fine powder.
- Add salt and mix well.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Sautee constantly to avoid ingredients getting burnt.
- Cool the ingredients well before grind.